A Bangladeshi man implicated in a tax evasion case involving a Japanese promotion firm for the K-1 martial arts organization has been arrested in New York on suspicion of assault, sources said Friday.
The 32-year-old man, who was not identified, is suspected of having a hand in the destruction of evidence in the alleged tax evasion and is believed to have been released on bail, the sources said.
Japanese prosecutors appear to be aware of the development and are gathering information about the man. They are also considering filing an application with U.S. authorities for him to be handed over or for their assistance.
According to Japanese prosecutors, the Bangladeshi man conspired with a former executive of defunct Itoman Corp. to make it appear as if the K-1 promoter had unsuccessfully tried to invite former world boxing heavyweight champion Mike Tyson to Japan.
The former Itoman executive, Suemitsu Ito, 58, was indicted in late March on a charge of destroying evidence in the tax evasion case relating to Kazuyoshi Ishii, the promotion firm’s former head, who is suspected of evading corporate tax.
Prosecutors could not locate the Bangladeshi man at the time as he had fled Japan.
Prosecutors have also indicted Ishii, 50, on a charge of abetting the destruction of evidence. He had already been indicted on a charge of evading 300 million yen in corporate tax over four years through September 2000.
Ito suggested that Ishii make it seem as if his company had failed to bring Tyson to Japan for matches twice so that it would appear the firm had incurred a 1 billion yen debt due to breach of contract, according to the indictments.
The plan is alleged to have been concocted when Ishii asked Ito to advise him on what to do following the Tokyo Regional Taxation Bureau’s investigation in September 2001 into the promotion firm’s alleged tax evasion.
In a time of both misinformation and too much information, quality journalism is more crucial than ever.
By subscribing, you can help us get the story right.