NEW YORK – The San Diego Padres on Thursday announced the hire of former major league pitcher Hideo Nomo as an adviser for baseball operations.
The 47-year-old Japanese baseball Hall-of-Famer, who in 1995 became Japan’s first big leaguer in 30 years and pioneered an era that has seen many of Japan’s best players head to the majors, will be involved in player development and baseball operations as well as helping the Padres expand their presence in the Pacific Rim, the club said on its official website.
“I am very happy to join the San Diego Padres and return to Major League Baseball,” Nomo said in a statement.
“My hope is that my advice will be handed down to the young players of the Padres. It is also an opportunity for me to learn, and I hope to help bring a World (Series) championship to the Padres. I look forward to working with A.J. Preller and all of the Padres’ baseball operations staff.”
Preller, the club’s general manager, was confident Nomo would be an asset to the organization.
“We are proud to welcome Hideo to the Padres organization,” Preller said in a statement. “His career as a major league pitcher speaks for itself. His expertise and passion for baseball will be a significant asset to the Padres and I look forward to having his input going forward.”
The Padres are trying to gain a better foothold in terms of scouting in the Pacific Rim.
In October, they hired former big league pitcher Takashi Saito as a front office intern.
Nomo entered the majors with the Los Angeles Dodgers in 1995 and went 13-6 with a 2.54 ERA in his first season.
Over his 12-year major league career, Nomo went 123-109 with a 4.24 ERA and 1,918 strikeouts in 1,976⅓ innings.
In addition to two stints with the Dodgers, Nomo, who threw a pair of no-hitters during his career in the majors, also pitched for the New York Mets, Milwaukee Brewers, Detroit Tigers, Boston Red Sox, Tampa Bay Devil Rays and Kansas City Royals.
Nomo was 78-46 with a 3.15 ERA and 1,204 strikeouts in 1,051⅓ innings during his five-year career in Japan with the Kintetsu Buffaloes. He was the 1990 Pacific League MVP and Rookie of the Year.
Royals, Moustakas agree
Kansas City, Missouri — The Royals and third baseman Mike Moustakas agreed Thursday to a $14.3 million, two-year contract that not only avoids arbitration this year but also buys out his final year.
Coming off his first All-Star appearance, the 27-year-old hit .284 last year with 34 doubles, 22 homers and 82 RBIs while also setting career-highs in on-base percentage and slugging.
Kansas City offered $4.2 million and Moustakas countered with $7 million. The sides settled on $5.6 million this season and $8.7 million next season, keeping general manager Dayton Moore’s streak intact of never having taken a case to an arbitration hearing.
All of the Royals’ arbitration-eligible players are under contract for this season.
In a time of both misinformation and too much information, quality journalism is more crucial than ever.
By subscribing, you can help us get the story right.