KAWASAKI – Japan’s two-time World Cup striker Yoshito Okubo said on Tuesday he will turn down offers from other J. League teams and stay with Kawasaki Frontale.
“I got my career back on track here, and I’ve only been here two years,” Okubo said after training. “We still have a championship to win.”
The 33-year-old Okubo’s two-year contract with Frontale expires at the end of the season, which has three games left. Frontale are out of the title race in fifth place, 10 points behind first-place Urawa Reds.
Reportedly, Okubo’s new deal is also for two years.
Okubo, the league’s top scorer with 26 goals last season, is co-leading again this year with 15 and had been in high demand, having fielded offers from FC Tokyo, Vissel Kobe and Cerezo Osaka.
But in the end he rejected them all, deciding to remain with Kawasaki who he joined in 2013 from Vissel when his career appeared to be fading.