News photoClaiton of Nagoya Grampus Eight shoots past Urawa defender Keisuke Tsuboi
during Sunday’s J. League match at Saitama Stadium. The Reds won 3-0.

KASHIMA (Kyodo) A first-half strike from Tatsuya Furuhashi gave Cerezo Osaka a shock 1-0 win over Kashima Antlers on Sunday, handing the J. League first-division leaders its first defeat of the season.

Kashima, however, stayed five points clear at the top of the table despite seeing its six-match winning streak halted as nearest rival Nagoya Grampus Eight was sunk 3-0 at Urawa Reds.

Elsewhere, veteran Masashi Nakayama rolled back the years with a vintage performance as he scored his 150th league goal and set up another to help Jubilo Iwata to a 4-0 win away to Kashiwa Reysol.

Kashima made most of the early running at Kashima Stadium and Tatsuya Nozawa forced a fine save from Cerezo keeper Motohiro Yoshida with a header after five minutes only for the visitor to break the deadlock after 19 minutes from a neat three-man move.

Kiyokazu Kudo picked up a pass from former Japan international Hiroaki Morishima and put through Furuhashi, who kept his cool to sweep the ball past Hitoshi Sogahata and into the bottom corner.

Nozawa squandered a glorious chance to level the score when he drove into the side netting with the goal at his mercy and Cerezo stood fast in the second half to pull off an improbable victory.

“It was great to score the goal. There were chances in the second half to finish them off but in the end we did well to hold on for the win,” said Furuhashi.

In Saitama, Brazilian striker Emerson scored a goal in each half and Tatsuya Tanaka was also on target as Urawa collected all three points on a miserable day for Nagoya, which had defender Makoto Kakuda sent off.

At Big Arch, Hisato Sato scored twice as Sanfrecce Hiroshima stayed third after a 5-0 drubbing of Albirex Niigata.

Making his 287th J. League appearance, Nakayama, 37, took just five minutes to bag his 150th goal from the penalty spot at Kashiwanoha Stadium, easily beating Yuta Minami after he had been bundled over in the box.

Nakayama then sent a cross over for Yoshiaki Ota to rifle home seven minutes later and Ryoichi Maeda buried the third in the 63rd minute before substitute Nobuo Kawaguchi completed the rout to ease the pressure on coach Masakuni Yamamoto.

Nakayama was given a warm round of applause from both sets of fans when he made way for young striker Bobby Cullen in the 75th minute.

Elsewhere, Japan striker Masashi Oguro scored twice as Gamba Osaka beat Vissel Kobe 3-1 and made sure Emerson Leao made a losing start in his first match in charge while Oita Trinita ran out 2-1 winners against FC Tokyo at Big Eye.

A double from South Korean Cho Jae Jin lifted Shimizu S-Pulse to a 2-1 win at home to 10-man Omiya Ardija while Yasuhiro Nagahashi scored as Kawasaki Frontale edged visiting JEF United Chiba 1-0.

In the evening game at Ajinomoto Stadium, Tokyo Verdy tied 1-1 with Yokohama F. Marinos. Washington put Verdy ahead in the seventh minute, with Daisuke Nasu equalizing in the 57th minute.

In a time of both misinformation and too much information, quality journalism is more crucial than ever.
By subscribing, you can help us get the story right.