Monday, June 7, 1920

Bolshevik forces massacre many Japanese


Immediately after the occupation of the town of Nikolaevsk, the Japanese expeditionary force captured the fortress. It appears that all the Japanese who escaped the first massacre were killed about May 25. Ten Japanese women remain alive at Mago, a place about 35 versts west of Nikolaevsk but they are all the wives of either Russians or Chinese. No other Japanese are to be found anywhere.

Upon landing at Dekastri, the expeditionary force found heaps of unburied dead, the bodies of residents who had been killed by the Partizans in various parts of the village and left where they had fallen. The condition of some of these corpses testified the unspeakable cruelty with which the Partizans had acted. The dead bodies of the women particularly presented horrible sights of mutilation. One corpse was found with the eyes torn out and the cavities filled with grain.

On the approach of the Japanese forces against Nikolaevsk, the Bolsheviks fled, but not before first setting fire to the place.

The massacre at Nikolaevsk is one of the greatest atrocities of the Russian Civil War in the Far East. Partisan forces associated with the Red Army executed an estimated 700 Japanese civilians and soldiers, an act the Japanese government later used to incite opposition to the Bolsheviks and occupy key areas along the Siberean coast.


Tuesday, June 26, 1945

Nippon forces carry out final attack on Okinawa


Imperial Japanese forces on the main Okinawa island are continuing their gallant fight and have inflicted heavy casualties on the Americans, aggregating 80,00 killed or wounded. After adjusting their lines after the middle of June, the Japanese fiercely counterattacked the numerically superior invasion forces numbering about seven divisions that, backed by sea and air units, have been infiltrating inch by inch into the Japanese positions.

On the Koroku front, the Japanese Navy units commanded by Rear Adm. Minoru Ota on June 13 launched an all-out counterattack against the invaders after fully supporting the deployment drive of the main body of comrade forces to the sector south of Shimajiri.

Meanwhile, the Japanese Garrison Forces under the command of Lt. Gen. Mitsuru Ushijima on June 20 launched the final offensive against the enemy forces on the southern front on June 20.

Following the general assault of these forces, a part of the Japanese troops, holding vital positions in the Shimajiri area, continued to engage in bitter fighting.

Despite the fact that the war situation on the main Okinawa island is developing unfavorably, units of the Japanese Army and Navy Air Forces are daily attacking the enemy warcraft and air bases in the Okinawas.

Ever since the start of enemy landing operations in the southwestern islands in the latter part of March, all the civilians led by Gov. Shimada have been making great efforts in cooperation with the Army and Navy for the defense of Imperial land.


Tuesday, June 16, 1970

Police box in Shibuya set on fire by students


A band of radical students burned a police box in Shibuya on Monday evening when thousands of Tokyo youths held rallies and demonstrations in the memory of a Tokyo coed who was killed during a police-student clash 10 years ago.

The Metropolitan Police Department arrested a total of 205 unruly demonstrators, including 29 women, in scattered places around Tokyo.

About 150 members of the Socialist Youth League stormed the Dogenzaka police box in Shibuya shortly past 6 p.m. after subduing a dozen intercepting police.

The students, armed with staves and bamboo sticks, hurled about 50 Molotov cocktails, creating a sea of flames in and around the police box.

They also threw Molotov cocktails at some 300 riot police who later arrived at the scene. The riot police countered with tear gas bombs, sending the students scurrying toward nearby stations on the Inokashira Line.

About 600 students waged a running battle with riot police in front of Shibuya Station. Students plunged into the columns of riot police, swinging staves, and ducked into the narrow streets lined with bars or into crowds of spectators. This was repeated several times.

Shops on Dogenzaka Street closed their shutters every time the students came by and opened for business again after they receded.


Friday, June 23, 1995

Police storm jet, rescue hostages in Hokkaido


Riot police stormed a hijacked All Nippon Airways jumbo jet in dramatic predawn rescue Thursday, apprehending the perpetrator and rescuing 364 captives to end the nearly 16-hour standoff.

The hijacker was identified as Fumio Kutsuni, 53, a Tokyo employee of Toyo Trust & Banking Co., police said.

Brandishing what appeared to be an ice pick, Kutsumi allegedly hijacked ANA Flight 857 shortly after noon Wednesday as it was flying from Tokyo to Hakodate. He demanded that the airliner be refueled and flown back to Tokyo.

Two Hokkaido Prefectural Police officers climbed into the parked Boeing 747 on the airport tarmac via a hatch near its nose gear at 3:30 a.m., and more than 50 officers followed in storming the jetliner at 3:42 a.m.

It is the first time police in Japan have stormed a hijacked airliner.

An officer who entered the plane through one of the three doors on the port side of the fuselage reportedly shouted, “We are the police, where is the man? Passengers, keep your heads down.”

The hijacker, who was with female flight attendants in the forward part of the plane, ran toward the rear, brandishing the weapon. He was quickly subdued at 3:46 a.m. and immediately placed under arrest.

According to witnesses, the man said, “I’m sorry, I’m sorry,” when he was arrested.

He was also quoted as saying, “I have done what I had to,” in admitting to the hijacking.

Compiled by Elliott Samuels. In this feature, we delve into The Japan Times’ 124-year archive to present a selection of stories from the past. The Japan Times’ archive is now available in digital format. For more details, see jtimes.jp/de.

In a time of both misinformation and too much information, quality journalism is more crucial than ever.
By subscribing, you can help us get the story right.