Crown Princess Masako is still in no condition to travel and will not attend next month’s royal wedding in Brunei, the Imperial Household Agency said Friday.
The agency said earlier in the week that it was considering allowing the Crown Princess, who is being treated for what it calls an adjustment disorder, to attend the Sept. 9 wedding of Brunei’s Crown Prince Al-Muhtadee Billah with her husband, Crown Prince Naruhito.
However, Hideki Hayashida, grand master of the Crown Prince’s Household, told a regular news conference Friday afternoon that the Crown Prince will make the trip to the Southeast Asian country alone.
“The couple came to this decision based on advice from doctors that (the Crown Princess) should still refrain from making overseas trips,” Hayashida said.
The final trip itinerary for the Crown Prince is set to be endorsed by the Cabinet soon.
The Crown Princess, 40, has missed all official duties since being hospitalized in December for shingles.
After months of silence, the Imperial Household Agency said in July that she is suffering an adjustment disorder, claiming the condition was due to the stress of trying to adapt to life in the Imperial Palace.
The Crown Prince caused a stir prior to his departure by making unusually candid remarks that there had been moves to negate the character and career of the Crown Princess, who had been a diplomat before marrying the heir to the throne.
In a time of both misinformation and too much information, quality journalism is more crucial than ever.
By subscribing, you can help us get the story right.