British tax advice wanted

MS in Kamakura wonders if we know of any consultants who advise individuals on their tax status under the U.K.-Japan Tax Treaty.

“I’m thinking in particular about inheritance tax and theissue of domicile.”

We suggest you begin by either calling the British Embassy on (03) 5211-1100, faxing your inquiry to (03) 5275-0346 or e-mailing consular.tokyo@fco.gov.uk.

The embassy website also offers help for British nationals: ukinjapan.fco.gov.uk/en/

For example, the British law firm Linklaters ( www.linklaters.com ) advises on U.K. and U.S. law in general, and they may well know of or be associated with a British tax consultant in Japan.

Alternatively, why not contact Stephen E. Dann, who as an approved online U.K. tax consultant ( www.uktaxadvisor.com/ ) is likely to have the help you are seeking at his fingertips.

And let us know how you get on. It is always good to be able to pass on recommendations to other readers in the need of similar advice.

Returning postwar spoils

BB, an American living in South Korea, would like to return some old photos from wartime Japan.

“My father was in the war and served in Japan after the surrender. He brought back with him a collection of various photos of families and soldiers that I think would be very highly valued by relatives, if they can be found.

“I don’t know if there is any kind of method to do this, but I would like to try. I know I would want such old family photos if they existed.”

Bruce provides a link to his Facebook page, with some of the photos he has scanned: www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=112062&id=695506617&l=14b2de98f6

BB, we think this an excellent way to get your message across. You might also like to know that there are a number of Japanese networking sites like Facebook. The largest is Mixi ( mixi.jp/ ), and this would seem an even better way to find the photos’ original owners than via the English-language Facebook.

This would however require you to write in Japanese. Do you have any Japanese contacts who might like to help?

Or maybe one or more of our Japanese readers would care to get involved. If so, do get in touch with BB via the link above.

For more information on Mixi, see mashable.com/2006/07/08/mixi-japans-biggest-social-network/.

Angela Jeffs is a freelance writer and writing guide (www.thewriterwithin.net/). Ken Joseph directs the Japan Helpline at www.jhelp.com
and (0570) 000-911. Send queries, problems and posers to lifelines@japantimes.co.jp

In a time of both misinformation and too much information, quality journalism is more crucial than ever.
By subscribing, you can help us get the story right.