Sydney – Australian Olympic officials on Monday urged Nick Kyrgios to commit to the Tokyo Games after the maverick tennis star suggested he might not go.
Kyrgios was among an 11-strong Australian team, led by world number one Ashleigh Barty, announced last week, but has since cast doubt over his participation.
Before retiring with an abdominal injury during his third-round Wimbledon clash, Kyrgios told reporters he had also entered a clashing tournament in Atlanta.
“I’m tossing up my options at the same time. I’ve heard some things about the Olympics, that are very tough, restrictions-wise,” he said. “No guests, none of that stuff.”
Australian chef de mission Ian Chesterman said he would respect whatever Kyrgios decides, but encouraged him to be part of their 472-strong contingent, which features a record number of women for an overseas games and the most Indigenous athletes ever.
“We’d still love to see Nick over at these games. He knows he’s welcome at these games and I would still think it’d be a fantastic outcome for tennis and our team if he was there,” he said via a Zoom call.
“But I understand and respect his decision, whichever way he goes.
“People have to believe they can perform under these different circumstances, so Nick will make his own decisions and we’ll respect that. We have to acknowledge it’s been a very difficult lead up for all athletes.”
Chesterman’s tone was markedly different to his predecessor in 2016, Kitty Chiller, who engaged in a public back and forth with Kyrgios ahead of the Rio Olympics, which he ultimately opted not to play.
Australia’s team, finalized Monday, is the second largest ever for an overseas Olympics, just short of the 482 who went to Athens in 2004.
Women make up more than half, a record, with a landmark 16 Indigenous athletes, led by Barty.
In a time of both misinformation and too much information, quality journalism is more crucial than ever.
By subscribing, you can help us get the story right.