• Kyodo


The Kashima Antlers beat Yokohama F. Marinos 2-1 in the J. League first division Saturday after rookie forward Ayase Ueda struck the winner with first maiden professional goal.

With just an Emperor’s Cup game and two J1 cameos under his belt, the 20-year-old Ueda netted late at Kashima Stadium to break a 1-1 deadlock against 10-man Marinos.

The win propelled Go Oiwa’s side from fourth to second in the J1 standings, leapfrogging Marinos and Kawasaki Frontale.

The Antlers had taken the lead after less than a minute through Brazilian attacker Serginho, but Teruhito Nakagawa equalized for the visitors in the second half.

Ange Postecoglou’s team was forced to play with the numerical disadvantage for the final 14 minutes after midfielder Takahiro Ogihara was sent off for his second yellow card.

Ueda, a surprise inclusion on Hajime Moriyasu’s youthful Japan squad at the recent Copa America in Brazil, showed plenty of poise to strike the 87th-minute winner.

Following a ball over the top from Kento Misao, Shoma Doi deflected a header toward Ueda, a 73rd-minute substitute, who lashed home the winner from in front of the penalty spot.

“I only needed to provide that final touch. I have to thank my teammates who set me up,” said Ueda, who joined Kashima this season out of Hosei University.

Serginho struck almost immediately after kickoff, having pounced on a mistake by Thailand international Theerathon Bunmathan.

Applying pressure inside the area, Serghino intercepted an attempted clearance by the left-back, playing a one-two with Shoma Doi before scoring with a superb strike from the right of the box.

Nakagawa equalized in the 68th minute after catching the Antlers defense off guard. The winger scored with a header from close range after attempting to set up Keita Endo, only for his teammate’s miscued shot to ricochet back to him.

Elsewhere, league-leading FC Tokyo beat visiting Vegalta Sendai 1-0 on a second-half penalty from Diego Oliveira.

Ryuji Izumi netted a brace for Nagoya Grampus, who beat two-time defending champion Frontale 3-0 at Toyota Stadium.

Consadole Sapporo drew 1-1 with the visiting Urawa Reds after Musashi Suzuki canceled out Ewerton’s opener.

Shimizu S-Pulse beat Matsumoto Yamaga 1-0 on a first-half goal from Douglas, while Gamba Osaka and Sanfrecce Hiroshima finished in a 1-1 stalemate.

Vissel Kobe remain just one spot above the relegation zone in 15th place following a 1-1 draw away to Oita Trinita.

In a time of both misinformation and too much information, quality journalism is more crucial than ever.
By subscribing, you can help us get the story right.