- Finance Ministry to release customs-cleared trade statistics for July.
- Tokyo government to conduct test through Aug. 30 to ease traffic during 2020 Olympics by changing delivery time of items shipped from capital’s port to metropolitan areas.
- Foreign Minister Taro Kono to arrive in China for three-day visit. He is expected to meet with China’s Wang Yi and South Korea’s Kang Kyung-wha in trilateral meeting Aug. 21 on outskirts of Beijing to discuss North Korea and other regional issues.
- City of Hiroshima to mark the fifth anniversary of landslides in 2014 that claimed the lives of 77 people.
- Japan Tourism Agency to release data on number of foreign people visiting Japan in July.
- Two-day ministerial negotiation between Japan and United States for bilateral trade deal to begin in Washington. Economic revitalization minister Toshimitsu Motegi and U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer expected to accelerate discussions as the two governments aim to reach broad trade agreement by end of September.
- Basketball exhibition match between Japan and Argentina to take place in Saitama. Washington Wizards forward Rui Hachimura, who became the second Japanese to be drafted into National Basketball Association in June, expected to play in warmup game before Aug. 31 to Sept. 15 World Cup in China.
- Prime Minister Shinzo Abe to arrive in France to attend summit of Group of Seven industrialized nations.
- Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications to release nationwide consumer price index for July.
- Three-day G7 summit to be held through Aug. 26 in Biarritz, France. Abe and U.S. President Donald Trump likely to hold talks on sidelines of gathering to discuss bilateral trade issues and diplomatic row between Tokyo and Seoul over wartime history and trade policy.
- Deadline for decision on whether Japan and South Korea will maintain bilateral General Security of Military Information Agreement, or GSOMIA, beyond its expiration in November. Seoul recently suggested it may pull out of the military intelligence-sharing pact, which is automatically renewed every year unless either side voices its intent to rescind the accord, amid growing enmity between them over trade policy and wartime history. Tokyo has indicated its support for renewal.
- Tokyo Koenji Awa Odori street dance festival to be held until Aug. 25 in capital’s Suginami Ward.
- Saitama gubernatorial election to be held.
- One year to go until 2020 Tokyo Paralympics.
- Radio show hosted by novelist Haruki Murakami to go on-air.