RIO DE JANEIRO – Ecuadorian prosecutors said Tuesday they have detained eight more people on suspicion of involvement in the shooting last month of a Japanese couple honeymooning in Guayaquil that left the man dead and the woman seriously wounded.
The prosecutors said they searched 12 locations in Guayaquil, the country’s largest metropolis, early Tuesday in connection with the shooting of Tetsuo Hitomi, 30, and his wife, Mariko, 27, and seized vehicles, motorcycles and three guns.
Interior Minister Jose Serrano confirmed that one of the guns was identified as the weapon used in the assault, according to the Japanese Embassy in Quito.
The eight are not linked to 10 people who were taken into custody Jan. 15.
In a time of both misinformation and too much information, quality journalism is more crucial than ever.
By subscribing, you can help us get the story right.