A person believed to have sent email messages containing murder and other threats last year from the computers of four people by remote control sent a fresh message Saturday to lawyers and reporters in Tokyo, investigative sources said.
The 12:35 a.m. message came from the same address used to send previous messages claiming responsibility for the cyber-threats, including one sent on New Year’s Day, the sources said. In the latest email, the unidentified person asks the recipients to solve an “additional puzzle,” they said.
A total of 13 threats — including one directed at a kindergarten and another warning of mass murder — were posted online or sent as email via remotely controlled computers, causing the four people who owned the hijacked PCs to be wrongly arrested between June and September.
In a time of both misinformation and too much information, quality journalism is more crucial than ever.
By subscribing, you can help us get the story right.