/ |

The jury system, Japan quits League, Hachiko dies, Sahara radioactive fallout in Japan, Tsukuba Expo opens



Tuesday, March 29, 1910

The jury system

With regard to the question of the jury system in this country, Dr. Yokota, a judge of the Tokyo Court of Cassation, who has recently returned from a trip of observation to Europe, says that the system is still maintained in European countries. They have no intention of abolishing the system, nor, on the other hand, of expanding it. According to the European example, the jury tries to mitigate punishment. Therefore, the system is good for lawyers. But judges must pay equal regard to prosecutors and lawyers and jury, and are sometimes compelled to reject the statements of the jury. Under the circumstances, great precaution should be observed before the system is adopted in this country.


Thursday, March 28, 1935

Japan ceases to be League member

Japan today ceases to be a member of the League of Nations, the notice of withdrawal having been given to the League two years ago. Both her responsibilities and rights as a member nation are ended. On these facts comment is almost superfluous in view of all the discussion of Japan’s decision which has taken place during the interval of two years since notification was first given to Geneva. One can only repeat the basic fact that, whether Japan is a member of the League of not, she continues, as she has in the past, to be a member of the larger world unity, the family of nations.


Saturday, March 9, 1935

Chuken Hachiko dies at age 13

Chuken (Faithful) Hachiko, the capital’s most famous dog, to whom the citizens of Shibuya Ward erected a statue as a symbol of loyalty and faithfulness, is dead.

The cream-colored quadruped was found dying in a street near the district railway station early this morning. The beloved animal was immediately rushed to a veterinarian, but age took its toll and he died shortly after, at the age of 13.

Station representatives and representatives of Shibuya Ward intend to have him stuffed and preserved in a museum.

Soon after he was born, Hachiko became the pet of the late Dr. Ueno, a professor at the Imperial Agricultural College. While the scholar was still living, the dog made it a rule to accompany his master as far as the station and also call for him there each evening. Seven years ago, Dr. Ueno died suddenly of cerebral hemorrhage at the college.

Not knowing this, however, Hachiko continued to call at the station every evening to wait on the return of his master. The faithful dog followed this routine each day until his death.

A bronze statue depicting Hachiko as a symbol of loyalty was erected at the station several years ago. Moreover, an article commending his faithful spirit was inserted in a government textbook for primary school students.


Thursday, March 10, 1960

Sahara radioactive fallouts detected

The second wave of radioactive fallouts from France’s first atom-bomb test in the Sahara Desert has been detected here several times since March 1, the Atomic Energy Bureau of the Science and Technology Agency said yesterday.

The agency said: “The air over Japan has been contaminated to a considerable extent by the second wave of radioactive fallouts” produced by France’s first atom-bomb test in the Sahara Desert on Feb. 13.

It said radiation ranging from 960 to 2,840 counts was detected in the rain on March 1 in several cities in western Japan, such as Fukuoka and Kagoshima.

The agency said that the first wave of fallouts reached Japan on a jet stream on Feb. 17, resulting in a “hot rain” here that lasted for four days. Radiation amounting to 2,900 counts was detected in the rain in Tokyo on Feb. 17, the agency said.

The agency report released yesterday is the result of the Meteorological Agency’s monthlong survey of the influence of the Sahara nuclear test on Japan.


Monday, March 18, 1985

Visitors top 80,000 as Expo ’85 opens

A total of 81,657 people, including some 120 persons who had camped out the night before, entered the site of Tsukuba Expo ’85 as it was opened to the public on a chilly and rainy day Sunday.

The number of visitors on the first day of the fair’s six-month run was much lower than an original estimate of some 100,000 daily turnout.

But the organizers said they were confident that overall attendance would surpass the original estimate of 20 million, spurred by a growing “science boom.”

At 9:30 a.m., fireworks were set off as a sign that the six-month exposition was open to the public, and tens of thousands of visitors rushed into the exposition site.

The pavilions of Japanese private corporations — including Matsushita, Fujitsu and TDK — appeared to be the most popular as long lines immediately formed. At those pavilions featuring robots and three-dimensional image-projection systems, visitors were required to wait up to three hours in the morning.

In this feature, which appears in Timeout on the third Sunday of each month, we delve into The Japan Times’ 114-year archive to present a selection of stories from the past. Stories may be edited for brevity.