• Kyodo News

  • SHARE

The labor ministry plans to make public the names of companies that retract job offers to students for more than two years in a row, government sources said Monday.

It also intends to disclose company names if they rescind more than 10 job offers in the same business year and fail to provide help for the students to find other jobs, the sources said. Such acts are considered malicious in view of their negative impact on students.

The Health, Labor and Welfare Ministry has set criteria for job cancellations that would be deemed malicious.

The move comes at a time when an increasing number of companies are canceling job offers to students, depriving them of assurances that they can start working next year.

So far this year amid the deepening economic slump, job offers for 769 students scheduled to graduate next spring have been retracted, according to a survey by the ministry.

The previous highest number was for students who graduated in spring 1998. According to the sources, the ministry is considering two more criteria for disclosing company names — when companies cancel job offers without any notable business problems, and when they do not offer sufficient explanations to students.

The ministry is expected to submit a proposal with the five criteria in January to a committee under the ministry’s advisory panel in charge of labor issues and revise relevant ministry ordinances by the end of the month.

Job offices stay open

In a sign that the employment crisis continues to deepen, job placement offices nationwide remained open Monday while most other government offices have closed for the holidays.

Unemployment offices are expected to remain open Tuesday to handle the increase in the number of dismissals, particularly of temporary workers, some of whom have also lost their accommodations.

Hit hard by the global recession and sharp rises in the yen’s value, many major manufacturing companies, including blue-chip firms Toyota Motor Corp., Suzuki Motor Corp., and Canon Inc., have started laying off temp workers.

At a job placement office in Tokyo, a 60-year-old man said that while he is ready to accept any type of job, he has not been able to find work due mainly to his age. “I can’t get a job interview because most businesses have closed for the New Year’s holidays,” he said. “I won’t be able to find a job by the end of the year.”

In a time of both misinformation and too much information, quality journalism is more crucial than ever.
By subscribing, you can help us get the story right.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

PHOTO GALLERY (CLICK TO ENLARGE)