NARITA, Chiba Pref. – The number of people leaving on summer overseas trips peaked Saturday at Narita airport, where 48,600 vacationers were expected to depart, the airport operator said.
But many travelers this year are avoiding the period during which airlines raise their seasonal fares, leading to several rounds of departure rushes, including one already in mid-July and the next expected in late August, Narita International Airport Corp. said.
According to the operator’s estimates, departing and arriving passengers are expected to total 3.78 million during the July 16-Aug. 31 summer vacation period.
The estimated figure represents a recovery to the 2002 level from the slump last year that stemmed from the SARS scare and the Iraq war.
In a time of both misinformation and too much information, quality journalism is more crucial than ever.
By subscribing, you can help us get the story right.