For anyone who enjoys the sight of old-fashioned Japanese houses and the rich culture that flourished in the early 1900s, the Nezu residential district of central Tokyo is a wonderful place for a stroll.

In complete harmony with the surrounding area of Bunkyo Ward, the Takehisa Yumeji Museum displays the works of this famous artist, long popular in Japan as a symbol of the romanticism of the Taisho Era (1912-1926).

Born in 1884, Takehisa grew up in a time of rapid influx of Western culture following the long years of isolation during the Edo Period (1603-1868). Takehisa, a painter, illustrator and poet whose real name was Mojiro Takehisa, depicted women and their fashion in transition, with traditional Japanese attire and hairstyles greatly influenced by modern Western fashion.