• Kyodo

  • SHARE

A 66-year-old man from Chiba Prefecture has filed a damages suit against lottery operator Dai-Ichi Kangyo Bank, demanding 50 million yen he claims he did not receive from a winning lottery ticket, the man’s lawyers said Thursday.

The man filed the suit with the Chiba District Court against DKB and a food company that operates a lottery vending booth in the city.

According to the suit, the man asked a female clerk at a lottery ticket vending booth in August 2000 to check if any of his 100 tickets for the Summer Jumbo lottery had won.

The clerk checked the tickets and handed over 6,000 yen in winnings and a receipt.

The suit alleges that the clerk did not notice that another of the tickets was a winner at the time, and asked the man what he wanted to do with them. He told her to dispose of them under the assumption they were losing tickets.

The man later examined the receipt, which showed that another of his tickets had won a large prize, according to the suit.

He returned to the booth the next day but the woman informed him she had thrown the tickets out. A law regulating lotteries stipulates that cash cannot be paid to a winner who does not have the winning ticket.

A subsequent DKB investigation determined that the man had purchased a second-place winning ticket worth 50 million yen.

The man filed for a court-mandated settlement seeking 25 million yen from the food company with the local court in March but the two sides could not come to an agreement.

The deadline for cashing in tickets from last year’s Summer Jumbo lottery was Monday.

An official of the lottery division of DKB declined to comment on the case.

The first prize for the Summer Jumbo lottery is 200 million yen and two second prizes are worth 50 million yen each.

In a time of both misinformation and too much information, quality journalism is more crucial than ever.
By subscribing, you can help us get the story right.

SUBSCRIBE NOW