Reader SJ and his wife were married nearly 40 years ago in the United States. At that time, SJ agreed to list her as half-owner of our home. For various reasons, the couple now do not get along and are on the way to separation or divorce.

SJ has limited income and cannot live on his pension, but if he sells the house he believes he could live on one half of the settlement. His wife refuses to leave Japan, but SJ would like to live overseas. However, he's previously heard that the Japanese government does not allow a divorce to occur except in the country in which the marriage took place.

Is this really the case, he asks.