Indonesian President Prabowo Subianto scrapped plans to travel to China to attend a major international summit, underlining the government’s growing concern about the violent protests that rocked the Southeast Asian nation last week.

Prabowo has declined the invitation from the Chinese government, State Secretary Prasetyo Hadi said in a statement on Saturday evening. "Due to domestic dynamics, the President wishes to continue to monitor the situation directly, as well as to lead directly and seek the best solution,” he said.

Several world leaders, including Russian President Vladimir Putin, Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Malaysian leader Anwar Ibrahim, are among those attending the Shanghai Cooperation Organization Summit in Tianjin that kicked off Sunday.