• Kyodo

  • SHARE

The safety debate at the Oi nuclear plant in Fukui Prefecture appeared to shift toward reactivation late Monday as trade minister Yukio Edano said it has already fulfilled enough of last week’s hastily drafted extra safety steps to prevent meltdowns from happening during power outages.

Emerging from a Cabinet meeting on nuclear safety Monday night, Edano said the government now believes Oi’s reactors can survive a station blackout like the one that doomed the Fukushima No. 1 power plant in Fukushima Prefecture last March.

Unable to view this article?

This could be due to a conflict with your ad-blocking or security software.

Please add japantimes.co.jp and piano.io to your list of allowed sites.

If this does not resolve the issue or you are unable to add the domains to your allowlist, please see out this support page.

We humbly apologize for the inconvenience.

In a time of both misinformation and too much information, quality journalism is more crucial than ever.
By subscribing, you can help us get the story right.

SUBSCRIBE NOW