Following is a breakdown of the financial sanctions imposed by Japan on North Korea on Tuesday:
Under the sanctions, Japanese authorities:
— Name 15 organizations and one individual subject to restrictions under the Foreign Exchange and Foreign Trade Law and bans the transfer of funds to them. They are:
* Kohas AG
* Korea International Chemical Joint Venture Co.
* Korea Kwangsong Trading Corp.
* Korea Complex Equipment Import Corp.
* Korea Tonghae Shipping Co.
* Korea Pugang Trading Corp.
* Korea Mining Development Trading Corp.
* Korea Ryonha Machinery Joint Venture Corp.
* Korea Ryonbong General Corp.
* Korea Ryongwang Trading Corp.
* Tanchon Commercial Bank
* Tosong Technology Trading Corp.
* Pyongyang Informatics Center
* Hesong Trading Corp.
* Ponghwa Hospital
* Jakob Steiger, president of Kohas AG
— Request that entities, including financial institutions, confirm customer identities and report any suspicious transactions.
— Will inspect financial institutions to ensure they are meeting their obligations to confirm customer identities and other details related to overseas cash transfers.
In a time of both misinformation and too much information, quality journalism is more crucial than ever.
By subscribing, you can help us get the story right.