A statement claiming responsibility for the firing of projectiles last week at a U.S. air base and the Defense Agency has been received by a Japanese newspaper, it was learned Sunday.
The statement, issued by the “revolutionary army,” was received by the newspaper Saturday and dated the same day, according to police sources.
It claims that the group will block an overseas dispatch of the Self-Defense Forces and a U.S.-led war against Iraq, they said.
The statement, which describes the incidents as “revolutionary guerrilla attacks,” was very likely sent by a militant group, they said.
Two projectiles were fired at the U.S. Air Force’s Yokota Air Base in western Tokyo on Wednesday night.
On Tuesday morning, two wired metal cylinders were found aiming in the direction of the Defense Agency. The cylinders, believed to be projectile launchers, were on the grounds of the nearby Tokyo Chinese School, an institution for children of pro-Taipei Chinese residents in Japan.
No injuries were reported in either incident.
The group said in the statement that it had targeted the Defense Agency on Feb. 24.
In a time of both misinformation and too much information, quality journalism is more crucial than ever.
By subscribing, you can help us get the story right.