• SHARE

The government will not dispatch a top-of-the-line Aegis destroyer to the Indian Ocean to back the anticipated military retaliation for the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks in the United States, official sources revealed late Thursday. The government had been considering sending the 7,250-ton Kongo on an intelligence-gathering mission, but caution from within the Liberal Democratic Party has forced the plan to be put on hold, the sources said.

A future dispatch of the destroyer, the sources said, has not been ruled out, but the government is now considering putting another escort ship in its place.

Unable to view this article?

This could be due to a conflict with your ad-blocking or security software.

Please add japantimes.co.jp and piano.io to your list of allowed sites.

If this does not resolve the issue or you are unable to add the domains to your allowlist, please see out this support page.

We humbly apologize for the inconvenience.

In a time of both misinformation and too much information, quality journalism is more crucial than ever.
By subscribing, you can help us get the story right.

SUBSCRIBE NOW