Tokyo expressed regret June 2 over Seoul’s plan to develop a chain of islands claimed both by Japan and South Korea, Foreign Ministry officials said.
Ryozo Kato, director general of the ministry’s Asian Affairs Bureau, summoned South Korean Minister to Japan Kim Yong Kyoo to express regret over South Korea’s ongoing construction of a wharf on the island chain, the officials said. The islands are known as Takeshima in Japan and Tok-do in South Korea.
Kato asked Kim for a halt in construction of the wharf and cancellation of a development plan announced in South Korea late last week, the officials said. The plans include construction of a manned lighthouse, according to the officials.
While reiterating Seoul’s stance that the islands belong to South Korea, Kim told Kato he will convey the message to the Seoul government, the officials said.
In a time of both misinformation and too much information, quality journalism is more crucial than ever.
By subscribing, you can help us get the story right.