Hidetoshi Nakata will not have a final match to mark his retirement, Japan Football Association President Saburo Kawabuchi said Monday.
Kawabuchi wanted Nakata to play as a member of New Zealand’s Auckland City FC in the FIFA Club World Championship in December that Japan will host, but he has been told by Nakata’s management company that the three-time World Cup midfielder has no intention of returning to the pitch.
Last year, former Japan striker Kazuyoshi Miura signed a short-term loan deal with Sydney FC and played in the club championship.
Nakata played in all 10 matches in three World Cups Japan have appeared in thus far and made a surprise announcement in July after the World Cup in Germany to end his playing career, which included spells with Italian clubs Perugia, Roma, Parma, Bologna and Fiorentina.
By subscribing, you can help us get the story right.