• SHARE

Scarred but not scared, Kenjiro Shinozuka, who suffered serious injuries after crashing his car in the Dakar Rally last month said Thursday he is ready to return to the wheel.

“I don’t remember anything at all from the accident,” said Shinozuka at a Nissan team gathering at a Tokyo hotel. “There’s no feeling of fear or pain from what happened so I’m ready to go at it again,” he added.

The 54-year-old racer broke his left thumb, right leg and his jaw in the accident.

He still must use crutches to walk but will resume training in March after having his casts removed.

“I’ve felt healthy in terms of speed and strength all season and I’ve decided to continue with my racing career.” Shinozuka lost control and crashed his car while trying to negotiate turns in sand dunes in Libya during the 497-km eighth stage of the Paris-to-Dakar race on Jan. 9.

In a time of both misinformation and too much information, quality journalism is more crucial than ever.
By subscribing, you can help us get the story right.

SUBSCRIBE NOW