The government will consider resuming its subsidy program aimed at promoting domestic tourism only in some parts of the country, even if the current state of emergency over the novel coronavirus is completely lifted, tourism minister Kazuyoshi Akaba said Thursday.
The idea of potentially restarting the Go To Travel campaign comes as Japan is set to end its second state of emergency for six prefectures west of the Tokyo metropolitan area at the end of this month, as the rate of infection is no longer considered dire. The six prefectures are Osaka, Kyoto, Hyogo, Aichi, Gifu and Fukuoka.
The nation’s second state of emergency was first declared for a month on Jan. 7 and later extended to March 7. Unlike the first one last spring, it only covered the Tokyo metropolitan area and some other areas of the country that had seen a resurgence of infections.
The government has also yet to decide whether to end the emergency for Tokyo and the neighboring prefectures of Kanagawa, Chiba and Saitama on March 7, according to government officials.
Although the infection situation in Tokyo has improved in recent days, it still logged 340 new cases on Thursday, bringing its cumulative total to 11,740.
During a parliamentary session, Akaba, referring to the travel campaign — which was blamed by critics for triggering the resurgence — said the government had no plans to restart the program immediately after the emergency is lifted.
Akaba said the government needed to carefully analyze the infection situation in each region before restarting the campaign, which was halted across the country on Dec. 28.
“It’s not an all or nothing, black or white (decision),” said the minister, who had earlier touched on the possibility of resuming the subsidy program by only allowing travel within prefectures that have relatively low infection figures.
Some government officials have said parts of the program should be revised, suggesting the discount rates should be revised and that people should be asked to use the campaign only for weekday trips.
The government is also looking to ease restrictions in stages for events in the targeted prefectures once the emergency is lifted, following a one-month observation period.
The easing could include raising the limit on the number of spectators, from the current 5,000 or 50% of a venue’s capacity to a maximum crowd of 10,000 people. Authorities may also permit a full house for venues such as movie theaters, where people do not speak loudly.
In a time of both misinformation and too much information, quality journalism is more crucial than ever.
By subscribing, you can help us get the story right.
Your news needs your support
Since the early stages of the COVID-19 crisis, The Japan Times has been providing free access to crucial news on the impact of the novel coronavirus as well as practical information about how to cope with the pandemic. Please consider subscribing today so we can continue offering you up-to-date, in-depth news about Japan.