KINSHASA – Measles has killed 2,758 people in Congo since January, more than the Ebola epidemic in a year, medical NGO Doctors Without Borders said, and called Saturday for a “massive mobilization of funds.”
The disease, preventable with a vaccine, has infected over 145,000 people in Congo between January and early August, it said in a statement.
“Since July, the epidemic has worsened, with a rise in new cases reported in several provinces,” said the NGO, which goes by its French acronym MSF.
“Only $2.5 million has been raised out of the $8.9 million required for the Health Cluster response plan — in stark contrast with the Ebola epidemic in the east of the country, which attracts multiple organisations and hundreds of millions of dollars in funding,” it added.
MSF tweeted that without a “massive mobilisation of funds and response organizations, the current measles outbreak in #DRCongo could get even worse.”
The NGO said it has vaccinated 474,860 children between the ages of 6 months and 5 years since the beginning of the year, and provided care to more than 27,000 measles patients.
In the country’s east, Ebola has claimed more than 1,900 lives since erupting last August.
Measles is a highly contagious diseased caused by a virus that attacks mainly children. The most serious complications include blindness, brain swelling, diarrhea and severe respiratory infections.
Last year, cases more than doubled to almost 350,000 from 2017, according to the World Health Organization, amid a rise in “anti-vaxxer” sentiment in some countries that can afford the vaccine, and lagging resources for the preventative measure in poor nations.
Congo declared a measles epidemic in June.