• Kyodo, JIJI, Reuters

  • SHARE

Most of the victims of Thursday’s inferno at Kyoto Animation Co. tried to use a stairwell to get to the roof but were unable to open the door at the top and suffocated, police and firefighters said Friday.

Most at the studio are believed to have died of carbon monoxide poisoning. The building had fire alarms and extinguishers but no sprinklers because they were not required for this type of building, local fire officials said.

In a time of both misinformation and too much information, quality journalism is more crucial than ever.
By subscribing, you can help us get the story right.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

PHOTO GALLERY (CLICK TO ENLARGE)