A shinkansen made an emergency stop Sunday after a tablet computer apparently owned by a passenger caught fire while the train was en route to Tokyo Station, police and railway officials said.
The incident aboard the Nozomi 234 super express took place at around 5:30 p.m. between Shin-Yokohama and Shinagawa stations when the tablet began spewing smoke after being turned on by its owner, who was described as a man in his 40s. The fire also left the small table at his seat slightly burned, police and media reports said.
The fire was contained quickly, but the train was held until the train’s safety was confirmed, according to the Japan Railway group. It resumed operation several minutes later and arrived at Tokyo Station.
The police are investigating how the tablet caught fire and suspect the battery might be the source of the problem.
In a time of both misinformation and too much information, quality journalism is more crucial than ever.
By subscribing, you can help us get the story right.