• Kyodo

  • SHARE

The operator of the Tokaido bullet train that was halted last year when a passenger set himself on fire failed to swiftly evacuate the passengers, a government-linked panel said Thursday.

A year after the incident, in which the 71-year-old man who started the fire and a 52-year-old woman were killed and 28 others were injured, the investigative panel released a report that said many passengers were hindered from escaping because others had stopped to see what was happening.

In a time of both misinformation and too much information, quality journalism is more crucial than ever.
By subscribing, you can help us get the story right.

SUBSCRIBE NOW