OTSU, SHIGA PREF. – Poisonous mushrooms sold at a highway rest area in Takashima, Shiga Prefecture, left at least two people with food poisoning, the Shiga Prefectural Government said.
The vendor of the poisonous mushrooms, called “tsukiyotake” (moonlight mushrooms), mistook them as edible “hiratake” (oyster mushrooms), Shiga public health officials said Sunday.
The poisonous mushrooms were sold Saturday at a highway rest area in Takashima where local produce is sold to travelers along with other food and snacks. A total of 12 packages with edible wild plants were sold, and the prefecture is urging the public not to eat them.
Two people who bought the packages reported coming down with stomachaches, the prefecture said. Health officials said it takes about 10 days for patients to recover.
In a time of both misinformation and too much information, quality journalism is more crucial than ever.
By subscribing, you can help us get the story right.