• Reuters

  • SHARE

An African exchange student plummeted to his death from a hotel balcony after eating a cookie containing marijuana cookie, in the first reported pot-related death in the city since Colorado legalized recreational marijuana in 2012.

Levi Thamba Pongi, 19, died March 11 from injuries related to the fall, and marijuana intoxication is listed as “a significant condition” that contributed to the accident, a spokeswoman for the Denver coroner’s office said Wednesday.

Pongi, from the Republic of Congo, attended Northwest College in Powell, Wyoming. He had gone on a spring break in Denver with three fellow exchange students to try marijuana.

In a time of both misinformation and too much information, quality journalism is more crucial than ever.
By subscribing, you can help us get the story right.

SUBSCRIBE NOW