• SHARE

A chef was found dead of suspected carbon monoxide poisoning in his father’s eatery in Tokyo’s Ginza shopping district Monday and his parents, who discovered him, were hospitalized, rescue authorities said.

Paramedics found Daiki Mori, 30, prone in the kitchen of the restaurant Iwato after receiving an emergency call from the eatery at around 2:10 p.m. The paramedics detected high amounts of carbon monoxide in the first-floor restaurant and on other floors in the building, they said.

Mori was confirmed dead after being rushed to a hospital. His parents, who were not immediately identified, were found conscious, they said. The father owns the eatery.

Mori had left home Sunday night to prepare for business, the parents said. After he failed to return, they went to check up on him.

“A man in a T-shirt was lying by the street,” said a woman who works at a nearby beauty salon “Then he was taken by rescue workers, wrapped in a blanket.”

In a time of both misinformation and too much information, quality journalism is more crucial than ever.
By subscribing, you can help us get the story right.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

PHOTO GALLERY (CLICK TO ENLARGE)