SEOUL – The mother of a South Korean man abducted by North Korea and believed to be the husband of Japanese abductee Megumi Yokota will seek a meeting this week with her son’s reported abductor.
Choi Seong Ryong, head of a group representing family members of South Korean abductees, told the Yonhap News Agency Sunday that Choi Gye Wol will visit a Seoul company on Tuesday where suspected abductor Kim Gwang Hyun now works.
Earlier in the day she will appear as a witness at a parliamentary hearing on the abduction issue.
She intends to ask the former North Korean agent about the circumstances under which her son, Kim Young Nam, was taken. If the former agent refuses to see her, she will seek a meeting with company executives, Choi said. Kim Yong Nam was taken to the North in 1978 when he was 16.
She also plans to visit the Unification Ministry and the National Intelligence Service to seek for the release of documents relating to her son’s case, Choi added.
The North Korean agent was arrested in South Korea in 1980 and after prison reportedly settled in Seoul.
In a time of both misinformation and too much information, quality journalism is more crucial than ever.
By subscribing, you can help us get the story right.