Following is a list of cases in which Aum Shinrikyo founder Shoko Asahara stands accused. Charges include masterminding murder, attempted murder, abduction and confinement resulting in death, destruction of a corpse, plotting murder or violation of the Arms Manufacturing Law.
* The March 20, 1995, sarin gas attack on Tokyo subway trains, which killed 12 and injured 3,794.
* The June 27, 1994, sarin gas attack in Matsumoto, Nagano Prefecture. Seven died and 144 were injured.
* The Nov. 4, 1989, murders of lawyer Tsutsumi Sakamoto, his wife and 1-year-old son.
* The Jan. 30, 1994, murder of former cult member Kotaro Ochida, who entered an Aum facility in an attempt to rescue a sick female member.
* The Dec. 12, 1994, murder of Tadahito Hamaguchi using VX gas. The cult believed he was a spy from the Public Security Investigation Agency.
* The Feb. 28, 1995, abduction and confinement that lead to the death of Tokyo notary public Kiyoshi Kariya, whose sister was trying to leave the cult.
* The May 9, 1994, sarin gas assault on lawyer Taro Takimoto, who was helping Aum members leave the cult.
* The Dec. 2, 1994, VX gas assault on Noboru Mizuno, a Tokyo parking lot owner, who was protecting a follower who left the cult.
* The Jan. 4, 1995, VX gas assault on Hiroyuki Nagaoka, an anti-Aum activist and chairman of a group of relatives of cult members.
* The February 1989 murder of cultist Shuji Taguchi, who attempted to escape the cult.
* The July 1994 lynching of cultist Toshio Tomita. The cult suspected Tomita of poisoning water in an Aum facility.
* The construction of a sarin mass-production plant between November 1993 and December 1994.
* The illegal production of automatic rifles between June 1994 and March 1995.