Twenty people in Tokyo, mostly elderly, received treatment at hospitals this week after choking on traditional “mochi” rice cakes, the Tokyo Fire Department said Friday.
The fire department called on the public to exercise caution in eating mochi as they expect similar accidents to occur during New Year’s celebrations involving the rice cakes, which are made by pounding sweet rice and are very dense and chewy.
Unable to view this article?
This could be due to a conflict with your ad-blocking or security software.
Please add japantimes.co.jp and piano.io to your list of allowed sites.
We humbly apologize for the inconvenience.