Tottori Prefecture is the “Manga Kingdom” that has produced many great manga artists whose works represent Japan abroad. Gegege no Kitaro, by Shigeru Mizuki, A Distant Neighborhood, by Jiro Taniguchi, and Detective Conan, by Gosho Aoyama are but a few of them. Tottori Prefecture host its own manga contest, the “Manga Kingdom Tottori International Comic Art Contest.”
(1) The contest will be accepting submissions under the following three categories. All entries must reflect the theme: “Window”.
– 1 frame manga (1 page)
– 4 frame manga (1-8 pages)
– 4 to 24 page manga story
(Artists can submit to multiple categories and can make multiple entries. Co-produced works will also be accepted.)
(2) Entries must be original works that have not been previously published
or publicly released. (Works published as doujinshi are acceptable)
Submissions must be received between April 1st 2019 and August 31st 2019 (no later than this date).
The selection committee will review all three categories and select one work to be awarded the Grand Prize. Additional works will be considered for other awards. The contest prizes consist of the following:
(1) 1 work will be awarded the Grand Prize consisting of a certificate and 500,000 yen.
(2) 2 works will be awarded merit awards consisting of a certificate and 100,000 yen.
(3) Approximately 3 works will be awarded a selection committee award consisting of a certificate and 50,000 yen.
(4) Approximately 3 works will be awarded a U-15 youth manga artist prize (for artists 15 years of age and younger) consisting of a certificate and prize item (30,000 yen value).
Tottori Prefectural Government
Manga Kingdom Secretariat