Seeking advice on accidents and health



Not so long ago, Jay had an accident. While riding her bicycle, she hit a woman who had to go to the hospital, where she was given a full check-up by the doctor and emerged with a clean bill of health.

“I have been told by the police and by some free legal counseling that I am legally responsible for her medical bills which I have already paid — the insurance I have will cover only my medical bills and I was not hurt in the accident.”

But things have taken a sinister turn.

“Afterward, the woman said she could not/would not work for a while, and since she is self-employed has no worker’s compensation.

“She then said she would get an accountant to calculate the amount that I should pay her in reparations for her time away from work, and it is in this area that I fear that she will try and take advantage of the situation and make me pay her as much as she can.

“What are my options in this situation?”

Go back and get more free legal counseling. Talk to the same person you saw before if at all possible, and this time take a friend (Japanese-speaking if you are not fluent) to act as a witness and for support.

If you would prefer a second opinion, call the Legal Counseling Centre for Foreigners run by the Tokyo Lawyers Association at (03) 3581-1511.

This service used to be 100 percent free but no longer, excepting Thursdays when aid can be granted.

You have to make the initial appointment in Japanese. When you meet in session, an interpretor (speaking English or Chinese) will be available. The first 30 minutes of counseling costs 5,000 yen.

Phone lines are open Monday to Friday, from 1-3 p.m.

Yes to Charlie

Tony writes: “I read about Charlie Badenhop (March 8), having known him for over 10 years.

“I am not sure about Charlie’s body work as I have never had a body work session with him, but I can say that he is one of the very finest hypnotherapists out there.

“Letting readers know about his hypnotherapy skills in a future article would be a win-win for everyone.”

Kathy Bernatt, International Program Coordinator, Outward Bound Japan (at 03-5211-0473) is also full of praise.

“Not only does Charlie do bodywork but combines his background in Aikido, Eriksonian Hypnosis and NLP in a series of 4 hour workshops held monthly on Saturdays aimed at helping people become more present and let go of issues that may be blocking them.

“He also runs workshops in the U.S., Europe and Canada as well as here in Japan.”

Charlie: seems you have fans!

Lost relative

Through changes of mailing address of both parties, J. has lost contact with a relative.

“Is it possible to find them in Japan? I have a Japanese address which is about 25 years old.”

Japan Post has a service system of passing mail on to a new address, but only for one year. So I fear the only way to find someone lost for so long is through advertising.

If any reader has come across another route or system of investigation, detectives apart, for tracking down friends or relatives in Japan, please let us know.

The Web site ( www.post.japanpost.jp/english/ems/index.html ) helps track EMS postings.

It covers all the major topics, including banking and payments for utility services, and also provides a list of phone numbers covering all the major cities for postal-related inquiries in English. For Tokyo the number is (03) 3560-1139; for Osaka, it’s (06) 6944-6245.