Soccer

Agent: Ronaldo rejects move to China

Reuters

World Player of the Year Cristiano Ronaldo has turned down the chance to leave Real Madrid for an unnamed Chinese club for a transfer fee of €300 million ($315.24 million), his agent said on Thursday.

Speaking to Sky Italia at the Globe Soccer Awards in Dubai, Jorge Mendes said the deal would have been worth €100 million per year.

“From China, they’ve offered €300 million to Real Madrid and more than 100 million per year to the player,” Mendes was quoted as saying.

“But money is not everything. Real Madrid is his life. Cristiano is happy at Real Madrid and it is impossible to go to China.

“The Chinese market is a new market. They can buy a lot of players, but then again it is impossible to go for Ronaldo.”

News of the offer came on the same day Argentine striker Carlos Tevez joined Chinese Super League side Shanghai Shenhua from Boca Juniors.

No financial details were disclosed but media reports said Shenhua had paid €84 million for the former Manchester City and Manchester United forward.

Last week, Brazilian midfielder Oscar joined Shanghai SIPG from Chelsea for a fee that media reports put at €60 million.

GET THE BEST OF THE JAPAN TIMES
IN FIVE EASY PIECES WITH TAKE 5