• Tokyo


The March 18 article “Residency requirement eyed for child allowance” made me realize that something is wrong [with the plan to pay families ¥13,000 per month for each child of junior high school age or younger]. Why should Japan raise its income tax [so that it can pay the allowance to foreign parents whose kids are overseas]? It would be more understandable if the legislation applied only to foreign children living in Japan.

My father is going [into the hole] because of the income tax. Furthermore, in three years I will be graduating from junior high, making things a lot harder for him. I believe that many households are in a similar situation. I would like health minister Akira Nagatsuma to not just consider but stipulate, as a requirement for receiving the allowance, that [children of foreign parents live in Japan]. I also agree with the Liberal Democratic Party’s argument that some people might claim nonexistent children. Such actions must be prevented at all costs.

Besides me, many other people believe that Japan should not make its citizens suffer by paying extra for children overseas. I admit, though, that families who live in Japan, regardless of whether they’re Japanese or not, deserve the child-care allowance. I hope the government will see reason.

eisuke yamagata

In a time of both misinformation and too much information, quality journalism is more crucial than ever.
By subscribing, you can help us get the story right.