A man arrested in a recent random knife attack on passengers on a commuter train in Tokyo had difficulties in his personal relationships, including online dating rejections, according to investigative sources.

Yusuke Tsushima, 36, who had told investigators he wanted to kill "happy looking women," was sent to prosecutors Sunday for attempted murder after stabbing a female university student on board a rapid express Odakyu Electric Railway train on Friday.

The 20-year-old woman was seriously injured with multiple stab wounds to her back and chest, and nine other people — four women and five men — were also hurt. None of them knew the man.

The sources quoted Tsushima as saying, "I was content seeing (people) rushing to escape, but even so not a single passenger was killed and that's unfortunate."

Tsushima blamed his misfortunes on other people.

"I've had a crappy life," he was quoted as saying. "My misery is all because of the people around me."

Tsushima spent his childhood in Tokyo's Setagaya Ward, where the stabbing incident on the Odakyu Line train took place, and graduated from a high school in the capital.

He studied at Chuo University in Tokyo, entering the Faculty of Science and Engineering, but eventually dropped out, the sources said.

Tsushima then worked at a convenience store and a bread factory, among other places, but did keep any of his jobs.

He told the police he quit because he was "fed up" with difficulties in personal relationships, according to the sources.

He had also expressed his frustration for the past six years at women who appeared to lead happy lives. The sources quoted him as saying, "I came to want to kill happy-looking couples and women" after being ridiculed at social gatherings and rejected on dating services.

At the time of the attack, around 8:30 p.m., some 400 passengers were on the Shinjuku-bound, 10-car train, but Tsushima managed to get off the train and flee the scene on a stolen bicycle. He reportedly told the police he chose an express train as it had fewer stops and passengers would have no way to escape.

The resident of Kawasaki, who left his home at around 7:30 p.m. and boarded the train from the nearest station, switched to the rapid express train, which traveled eight minutes before stopping at the next station.

He poured cooking oil on the floor of one of the cars with the intention of starting a fire, the police said.

Tsushima was detained by the police later that night at a convenience store and formally arrested Saturday.

A worker at the convenience store called the police after the man said, "I'm the suspect from the incident on the news, and I'm tired of running."

In a time of both misinformation and too much information, quality journalism is more crucial than ever.
By subscribing, you can help us get the story right.