The U.S. Navy has identified the seven sailors who died when their destroyer collided with a containership off Japan on Saturday.

Seven crew members were unaccounted for after the collision flooded berths with seawater. Navy divers recovered the bodies after the heavily damaged USS Fitzgerald returned to its home port in Yokosuka, Kanagawa Prefecture with the aid of tugboats.

In a statement released early Monday, the U.S. Navy’s 7th Fleet identified the victims on Monday’s incident as Gunner’s Mate Seaman Dakota Kyle Rigsby, 19, from Palmyra, Virginia; Yeoman 3rd Class Shingo Alexander Douglass, 25, from San Diego; Sonar Technician 3rd Class Ngoc T Truong Huynh, 25, from Oakville, Connecticut; Gunner’s Mate 2nd Class Noe Hernandez, 26, from Weslaco, Texas; Fire Controlman 2nd Class Carlos Victor Ganzon Sibayan, 23, from Chula Vista, California; Personnel Specialist 1st Class Xavier Alec Martin, 24, from Halethorpe, Maryland; and Fire Controlman 1st Class Gary Leo Rehm Jr., 37, from Elyria, Ohio.

The grim information came two days after the Fitzgerald, a guided-missile destroyer, collided with a Philippine-flagged, Japanese-charted containership about 100 km southwest of Yokosuka.

The Fitzgerald, which has the state-of-the-art Aegis missile-defense system, was believed to have been deployed to monitor missiles being tested by North Korea.

“We have found the remains of a number of our missing” sailors, Vice Adm. Joseph Aucoin had announced Sunday during a news conference at the Yokosuka naval base.

As search crews gained access to damaged sections, several bodies were located in flooded berthing compartments, the 7th Fleet said in a statement.

Their remains were transferred to Naval Hospital Yokosuka, Aucoin said.

Despite the extensive damage to the Fitzgerald’s right side, the destroyer managed to reach Yokosuka and was anchored there Sunday afternoon.

On Sunday, reporters and photographers were given an opportunity to take photos and videos of the ship. A large dent was seen on the right side, next to its Aegis radar arrays and behind its vertical launch tubes.

Asked about the cause of the fatal collision, Aucoin declined to speculate, saying a full investigation would be soon underway.

“As to how much warning they had? I don’t know. That’s going to be found out during investigations,” Aucoin said, adding that the U.S. Navy would fully cooperate with Japanese authorities.

Investigators must determine how a sophisticated U.S. warship collided with a containership four times its size. Raising even more questions, tracking data sent from the cargo vessel, the ACX Crystal, showed that it had reversed course about 25 minutes before the accident, according to the website MarineTraffic.com.

Aucoin said he was proud of the crew for its quick response to the collision.

“I can’t tell you how proud I am of the crew for what they did to save the ship,” he said.

He said that the Fitzgerald will not be decommissioned, although it may take months before the destroyer is fully repaired and put back into operation.

U.S. President Donald Trump also offered his condolences to the families and thanked Tokyo for its help. Japan had sent Maritime Self-Defense Force and Japan Coast Guard vessels and aircraft to help find the missing sailors.

“Thoughts and prayers with the sailors of USS Fitzgerald and their families,” Trump wrote on Twitter. “Thank you to our Japanese allies for their assistance.”

In a letter to Trump, Prime Minister Shinzo Abe vowed that his government “would not hesitate to continue offering support to the United States in these difficult times.”

The collision, which took place at 2:24 a.m. Saturday, damaged three large compartments in the USS Fitzgerald, including an area that houses 116 crew members.

The damage caused a large amount of flooding inside the 8,900-ton Arleigh Burke-class destroyer.

“Right near the pilot house there was a big puncture (and) a big gash underneath the waterline,” he said.

The collision also destroyed the cabin of the ship’s commander, he added.

“He is lucky to be alive,” Aucoin said.

According to shipping giant Nippon Yusen K.K., which charted the 29,060 ton cargo ship, none of its 20 crew members were injured.

In a time of both misinformation and too much information, quality journalism is more crucial than ever.
By subscribing, you can help us get the story right.