Mobile carrier NTT Docomo said Wednesday that users who update its app, which currently enables users to track down lost phones, will thereby allow the carrier to provide location information to investigative authorities without informing them.
Earlier this month, NTT Docomo said five smartphone models, some of which are already on store shelves, will allow authorities to track down the location of its smartphones without informing users. But it is not clear how this will affect users already using NTT Docomo smartphones equipped with the Android operating system.
If the users of existing models update their NTT Docomo location service app, which has been available since May 19, it will allow the mobile carrier to provide information to investigative authorities with warrants without informing users.
NTT Docomo, however, stressed that it will not provide such information “unless there was a warrant or in cases of emergency in which users’ lives are threatened,” said the mobile carrier’s spokesman on condition of anonymity, adding that it may be helpful, for example, in cases where the user is injured following a natural disaster.
Since the ministry’s guidelines urge mobile carriers to install such a function, other carriers are likely to follow suit, industry sources said. SoftBank Corp. and KDDI Corp., operator of au, have said a program to install the same service is still in the works.
In a time of both misinformation and too much information, quality journalism is more crucial than ever.
By subscribing, you can help us get the story right.