• Kyodo

  • SHARE

A State Department official said Wednesday the U.S. government has been working with the Japanese government following reported death threats against Ambassador Caroline Kennedy.

“We are working with the Japanese government to ensure the necessary measures are in place,” Jen Psaki, a spokeswoman for the department, said in a statement.

The move came after investigative sources in Japan said the U.S. Embassy in Tokyo received several calls in February threatening to kill Kennedy. There have also been calls threatening to kill the U.S. consul general in Naha, Okinawa Prefecture, Alfred Magleby.

“We take any threats to U.S. diplomats seriously. We take every step possible to protect our personnel,” Psaki said.

But Psaki said, “We will not comment on the specific details of any threats or the steps we take to address them.”

The reports on death threats against the American diplomats in Japan drew attention in the United States following an incident in South Korea earlier this month in which U.S. Ambassador Mark Lippert was assaulted and injured by a blade-wielding man.

In a time of both misinformation and too much information, quality journalism is more crucial than ever.
By subscribing, you can help us get the story right.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

PHOTO GALLERY (CLICK TO ENLARGE)