GROSETTO, ITALY – An Italian court sentenced the former captain of the Costa Concordia cruise liner to 16 years in prison on Wednesday for his role in the 2012 shipwreck that killed 32 people off the Tuscan holiday island of Giglio.
Francesco Schettino was commanding the vessel, a floating hotel as long as three soccer pitches, when it came too close to shore and hit rocks off the island, tearing a hole in its side.
Schettino was convicted of multiple manslaughter, causing a shipwreck and abandoning his passengers in one of the highest-profile shipping disasters in recent years.
However, he will not actually go to jail before the end of Italy’s long appeals process, which can take years after the court said he would not be imprisoned or put under house arrest until the whole appeals process is complete.
Investigators severely criticized Schettino’s handling of the disaster, accusing him of bringing the 290-meter-long vessel too close to shore. The subsequent shipwreck set off a chaotic night evacuation of more than 4,000 passengers and crew.
He was also accused of delaying evacuation and abandoning ship before all the 4,229 passengers and crew had been rescued.
Prosecutors had asked for a prison sentence of 26 years for Schettino, who has admitted some responsibility but denied blame for the deaths that occurred during the evacuation.
The court sentenced Schettino to 10 years for multiple manslaughter, five years for causing the shipwreck and one year for abandoning his passengers. In addition he received a one month civil penalty for failure to report the accident correctly.
He was left alone in the dock to answer for the disaster after the ship’s owners Costa Cruises, a unit of Carnival Corp , paid a €1 million ($1.1 million) fine and prosecutors accepted plea bargains from five other officials.
He and Costa Cruises were jointly ordered to pay a total of €30,000 compensation to each of the ship’s passengers as well as millions of euros in compensation to Italian government ministries, the region of Tuscany and the island of Giglio for environmental damage.
Earlier on Wednesday Schettino had rejected prosecution accusations that he had shown no sense of responsibility or compassion for the victims, saying “grief should not be put on show to make a point.”
Schettino on Wednesday gave his final address to a court. He said he had been exposed to a media “meatgrinder” that had “put the entire responsibility for this incident on to me, with no respect for the truth.”
The massive hulk of the Costa Concordia was left abandoned on its side for 2½ years before it was er-floated and towed away in the most expensive maritime wreck recovery in history. The last body was not recovered until last year.
Schettino’s defense team argued he prevented an even worse disaster by steering the ship close to the island as it sank. They say the sentence sought by prosecutors goes beyond even sentences sought for mafia killers.
“I believe and hope that the court will be able to establish the fact that the deaths happened after the impact,” his lawyer, Domenico Pepe, told reporters.
Costa Cruises has offered passengers who suffered no injury €11,000 in compensation, but there are those who agree with Schettino that he should not be the only one held to account.
Giuliano Leuzzi, a lawyer representing consumer organization Codacons, a civil party in the case, said: “We need to establish the real responsibilities and each party should take responsibility for their share.”
In a time of both misinformation and too much information, quality journalism is more crucial than ever.
By subscribing, you can help us get the story right.