SYDNEY – Australia will investigate sexual abuse claims at its refugee detention center on Nauru, the government said on Friday, while removing 10 aid workers from the South Pacific island following reports of coaching detainees to commit self-harm protests.
Australia’s tough policies aimed at stopping asylum seekers reaching the country by boat include sending migrants to camps in impoverished Papua New Guinea and Nauru, where they face long periods of detention while they are processed.
The policies have been heavily criticized by the United Nations and human rights groups.
Refugee advocates this week said women in the Nauru center were regularly required to strip and exchange sexual favours with guards for access to the showers, prompting calls for an investigation by the opposition Labor and Greens parties.
Greens Senator Sarah Hanson-Young said there were also accusations children had been forced to have sex in front of guards at the center.
Immigration Minister Scott Morrison told reporters an independent investigation headed by a former integrity commissioner and working with the Nauru government had been appointed to look into the claims.