NEW YORK – Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto said the attorney general’s office is probing an incident involving the armed forces that killed 22 people in June after reports that nearly all the dead were executed by soldiers.
The mother of a 15-year-old girl, Erika Gomez Gonzalez, told the Associated Press that she saw soldiers kill her daughter and 20 others after they surrendered following a gunbattle in a warehouse in rural southern Mexico. The government previously said the deaths occurred as a result of the shootout, which occurred in an area controlled by the La Familia drug gang.
Pena Nieto, speaking at Bloomberg’s headquarters in New York Monday, said the Attorney General’s office is responsible for the investigation. Mexico’s national human rights commission said last week it was also investigating the shootings.
The probe is still underway and no conclusions have been reached, according to a press official with the attorney general’s office, who asked not to be named because of internal policy.