• SHARE

Tokyo police said Friday they plan to turn over to prosecutors their case against three Chinese men who allegedly kidnapped a Japanese man in China, although the suspects are currently being held by Chinese authorities.

Chinese police have told the Metropolitan Police Department that the three suspects have admitted kidnapping Eizaburo Yamanaka for ransom.

Japan and China have no extradition treaty, though the government in July added a provision to the Criminal Code to facilitate the punishment of foreign nationals who commit serious crimes against Japanese abroad.

Japanese police said they have asked their Chinese counterparts to provide them with details of the investigation into the suspects that they plan to submit to prosecutors.

The three abducted Yamanaka, 66, a former trading company employee from Tokyo’s Nerima Ward, at Shenyang airport on Oct. 9 as he was about to return to Japan, Tokyo police said.

He was confined to an apartment and several phone calls demanding a ransom were made to his family in Tokyo, police said.

Chinese police rescued Yamanaka a few days after his abduction and arrested three men. Yamanaka had suffered a slight wound but was otherwise healthy. He has since returned to Japan.

Yamanaka, who had spent his boyhood in Shenyang, arrived there Oct. 4 and was touring the city alone. The kidnappers had been following him since the time of his arrival, Tokyo police said.

In a time of both misinformation and too much information, quality journalism is more crucial than ever.
By subscribing, you can help us get the story right.

SUBSCRIBE NOW