Encouraged by the recent Supreme Court acquittal over the death of his wife in 1982, Kazuyoshi Miura said Friday he will file a request with the Tokyo District Court to re-examine a separate charge of assaulting her earlier that year.
Miura, 55, a former company president, was sentenced to a six-year prison term in 1998 when the top court found him guilty of conspiring with an actress and attacking his 28-year-old wife, Kazumi, with a hammer at a Los Angeles hotel in August 1981. He was released in January 2001.
“The assault charge, like the murder one, was fabricated by the media amid their escalating ‘L.A. scandal’ campaign,” Miura told The Japan Times on Friday. “Investigative authorities followed the media amid the public hysteria (over the case), but my acquittal of the murder charge has proven that the assault case has no reasonable grounds, either.”
Miura said he will file the request sometime this year.
Miura was arrested in September 1985 in connection with the assault.
In 1998, the Supreme Court upheld a lower court decision to sentence him to six years in prison for the assault, saying it was an attempt to kill Kazumi to acquire insurance money.
Kazumi suffered light injuries in the attack, which Miura called “a little quarrel” between the two women.
Three months after the hammer attack, Kazumi was shot on an L.A. highway. She died the following year.
On Thursday it was learned that the Supreme Court upheld a high court acquittal of Miura over the death of his wife, coming nearly 18 years after his arrest.
The assailant and murder weapon were never found.
In a time of both misinformation and too much information, quality journalism is more crucial than ever.
By subscribing, you can help us get the story right.